Gildone - Historical Notes

ORIGIN AND NAME. - HIS name is "Celandine" in Catalog Borrelliano twelfth century: "Geldoniam" in later times: "Celdrone" nell'apprezzo Campodipietra 1706 pel Tavolario Galluccio: "Geldone" diplomas in the eighteenth century. The City prospered this immigration that way, the people of Quadrano and St. Andrew, when deserted those feuds.

The coat of arms, in old, remembered the lucky event, since consisted of a shield and split the party in the upper field: with the first quarter charged with three fish, and the second of a viper attortigliata; while the lower field was loaded in a stylized lily, indicating the combination of S. Andrea, Quadrano Gildone and primeval. This emblem is no longer in use.

POPULATION. - Fires 231 in 1532: 316 in 1545: 343 1561: 251 1595: 251 1648: 129 it! 1669: surf. 1863 in 1780: 2434 in 1835; 2541 1861: 2790 1881: 2861 1901: 2468 in 1911.

NEWS FEUDAL. - A bachelor's in 1079 attests to the existence of Gildo. Such a diploma refers to a donation day Rao Falco Graone "de genre francorum" consanguineous of Nubulone ladies of the church of S. Maria Gildone Decorated (included in the estate of S. Andrea) founded by Nubolone; and we note that the donation was made "to petitionem et preces antedicti Domains Nubulonis kin" on, etc. "(192).

Other feudal Lombard was Ragone, whose name is passed down from a bachelor's donation to the monastery of St. Mary Decorated attached to the church of the same name.

The Norman period and the Swabian period not offer traces about Gildone; not so the time Angevin, as in "Liber Donationum Regi Caroli" shows what owner for Gildone and Ielsi Bertrand of Belmonte.

Hereinafter Gildone was assigned with the title of count Sanfromondo family, of which we give the detailed information in the historical mon. of 13oiano in volume III. We do not know how long the family will remain in the domain: Apparently, however, no doubt that Francis Sanfromondo it was the last owner in 1334.

The Sanfromondo, indeed, in that year sold the fief to Oddone Seeriano, the noble family regnicola ascribed to the See of Porto (known to be confused with the family of Sanseverino) concerning weapon a field party: red in the upper third with three lilies of France of gold, the lower two thirds compartito of waves of gold and blue

Of this family are known to us only two holders for Gildone: Odo and his son Richard, who had a wife Mary Pepin offspring of the Count of Nocera.

During durazzista - if in the time of Charles III or that of Giovanna II do not know - Gildone belonged to the family Gambatesa comitale of Campobasso, who was Mrs. insino to 1465.Nel period durazzista - if in the time of Charles III or that of Giovanna II do not know - Gildone belonged to the family Gambatesa comitale of Campobasso, who was Mrs. insino 1465.

In 1465, donated to the State Gildone, remained lying there until 1467, and in that year - along with Ielsi - was granted a fief to Al-berico Carafa Duke of Ariano, whose lineage provide news am-riche and the heraldic mon. Forli in the third volume. Alberico Carafa (descending buyer same name) in 1586 sold the feud to Ottavio Mastrogiudice with the right of retrovendendo.

Ottavio Mastrogiudice, Marquis of Santo mango, held in domain Gildone little time, as the redeemed in 1590. Alberico Alberico Carafa had a successor Brother Diomede: Who being Treasurer of the Kingdom and hugely indebted to the Court and R. defaulting, had the seizure of the feuds.

Exposed Gildone auction, in 1604, was awarded to Stefano Salvatore, whose family are known four holders pel feud:

a) Salvatore, buyer.
b) Francesco firstborn, living in 1650, according attests d'Urso (193).
c) Ottavio, son of Francis, in life in 1700.
d) Francis, unicogenito of Octavius, who died in 1727 without heirs.

Gildone was donated to the State, and date soon feud to Malizia Carafa, which deal with some spread in mon. Campolieto. (The death of the last of Stephen gave rise to a legal dispute filed against the Treasury by the Countess of Preston woman Beatrice Capece, the heir of Stephen pei burghensatici likewise confiscated by the State. The Capece died in 1758, and his reasons were inherited by Marquis Antonio Guindazzi. The case went so far to end up before the Feudal Commission).

How long he remained in Gildone renewed feudal Carafa? We can not give precise dates: we know, however, from the bag (194), which in 1795 was Gildone ground directing.

With diploma in January 1798, Ferdinand IV gave Gildone feud to the Prince of Belmonte Don Antonio Pignatelli, the illustrious family of which we extend the historical and noble in mon. Colletorto in volume IV: and this in certificate of sovereign complacency pel peace treaty of October 10, 1796 signed by the same in Paris.

The diplomatic mission of the Prince of Belmonte had lasted five months, from May to October (195).

The Candida Gonzaga (196) - with no indication of the time - annoera Gildone between the lands of the feudal family of Raho, which we treat in mon. Caccavone in volume III. Let the news as a curiosity.

CHURCH NEWS. - Gildone belongs to the diocese of Be-nevento. It consists of a single parish under the title of S. Sabino, bishop and martyr, who is also the patron of the City, and whose feast day is celebrated annually on August 1.

The churches are: S. Sabino. - It is the parish of ancient building. In 1690, on the occasion of the restorations that were made, it was consecrated by Cardinal Orsini August 15th: and was prescribed by the illustrious cardinal, who then ascended the papal throne, that the happy event to be celebrated every year on the memorial day September 3 . It consists of a single ship, the surface of which does not exceed 300 square meters. Includes five altars, the oldest of which is dated 1656.

S. Rocco. - Chapel that it seems founded at the beginning of the century if the age of the building could be inferred from the date of the two altars that are ornament: July 7, 1709. In 1784, by virtue of R. Rescript 29 December, it became the seat the two local brotherhoods, dedicated to SS. Sacramento to SS. Rosario.

St. Anthony Abbot. - It is uncertain whether it was built in 1703, or sol-time restored. What one knows is that in that year - June 18 - year old consecrated by Cardinal Orsini. The only altar that is adorned sor-mounted perpendicular to a triptych, having in the lunette the crucified Redeemer watched by Marie: in the middle of the Madonna and Child adored by St. Anthony and St. Anthony of Padua: down, Dinner. In the face divisional between the bezel and the center console, is written: / For me oculos ad quam designo directs mentem / MDXXXXII /. The Campensa, we have to this news, believes the center console work of a painter Secondary School umbra of four, and that the date has been put at the transport of it in the Church, or to remember some restoration which was subject.

S. Martino. - Built in 1738 (along with a small hermitage which is attached) by Martin Hope this rich owner of Gildo. It is at a distance of more than half a kilometer from the town.

S. Maria in Quadrano. - This chapel is located in the former estate of Quadrano, and hence it is named. In 1722 was significantly re-staurata and expanded devotion to Matteo and Antonio del Vasto, gildo-nesi; and recently remodeled and decorated mercy of the offering of the faithful. It is far from the town about 4 miles.

St. Mary of Constantinople. - Built in 1729, in the district ru-tics Tornavento, at a distance of about 300 meters from the town.

S. Maria delle Grazie. - It is just over 200 meters from the town, and was consecrated in 1711 by Cardinal Orsini.

The series of archpriests: Bonaccio Simeone Toro (1597-98): Chiovitto Julius (1598-1607): Mallards Andrea (1607-49): Chiovitto Lucio (1649-79): Antonio Cicchetti (1680-99): Campensa Giuseppe ( 1700-47): Campensa Domenico (1747-63): Campensa Joseph (1764-90): Virgilio Francesco Maria (1790-1817): Del Vasto Domenicantonio (1818-43): Farinaccio Joseph (1843-66): Pasquale Del Balso (1868-71): Virgil Jerome (1874-81): Colicchio Angelantonio (1882-92): Dominic Leone (1892-19 ..

NEWS ADMINISTRATIVE. - Gildone was attributable to the captains, and perhaps before 1806 had never belonged to the countryside of Moli-if. In 1799 he was included in the Department of the Sangro and the Canton of Riccia. Its annexation to Molise depended RD December 25, 1806, when the Government of Ielsi (where Gildone ranged) was detached from the District of Foggia and assigned to one of Campobasso. From that year Gildone remained in the district of Go-ernment (then Environment) and now the District of Ielsi. From 1892, to July 31 RD which abolished the District court of Ielsi, Gildone is part of the district court of Campobasso.

The Town Hall is in the municipal property in the former premises which once formed the Hospital: which had been enlarged and restored by Cardinal Orsini in 1724. The local municipality for such an annual fee corresponds to 100 L. Local Congregation of Charity.

The series of Mayors:
Farinaccio Giacomo (1809): Nicola Del Vasto (1810-14): Ricciardi Pietrangelo (1815-16): Luciano Michelangelo (1816): France-scantonio Serafini (1817-19): Luciano Michelangelo (1820-21): Of Chiccio Bar -tolomeo (1822-24): Michele Hope (1824-31): Hope Gaetano (1831-32): Perrotti Antonio Maria (1838-36): Mendozzi Joseph (1836-40): Del Vasto Nicodemus (1840-12): Giuseppe D'Elia (1842-49):

Francesco Del Balzo (1849-52): Michael Del Vasto (1852-56): Farinaccio Domenico (1856-57): Nicola Di Lillo (1858-60): Campensa Aurelio (1860-68): Perrotti Giovannicola (1869-83) : D'Elia Ferdinand (1883-85): De Chicchio John (1885-86): Vitale Michele (1887-88): Hope Francis (1890-95): Del Vasto Domenicantonio (1895-97): Domenico Germano (1897- 99): Campensa Domenicangelo (1900-07): Bonomo Gaspare (1908- ..

ELECTORAL COLLEGE. - Gildone is part of the College of Riccia since 1861, and this was always of relevance except in the short period from 1882 to 1891, when it was included in the Board of Campobasso 1.

AGENCY OF TAXES. - Campobasso.

OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR. - Campobasso.

PUBLIC EDUCATION. - The City has three elementary grades three male and female, straight four teachers of both sexes. The total annual expenditure amounts to L. 5,100.

MAIL AND TELEGRAPH. - The post office was implanted in 1884. The office of the telegraph in 1890.

ECONOMIC INSTITUTIONS AND CHARITY.

* Case of agricultural loans. - Not yet in operation; but features of a capital L. 3,000 from the liquidation of Mount Frumentario, and deposited on the Postal Savings Fund. In 1902 the pension entity ascended to L. 56.06 burdened by L. 2.50 contribution to the Province.

* Congregation of charity. - It has a yield of mixed about L. 900 between money and basic grains, which corresponds to the Province on the contribution of L. 39.98.

PUBLIC LIGHTING. - A petroleum, since 1870. They are facen-do practices for lighting by electricity.

CEMETERY. - It was built in the decade from 1851 to 1860, a smaller distance of a mile and highest resort in the town. It was later expanded in 1882 to a design by surveyor. Giuseppe Massimo at a cost of about L. 3,000. Contains only one chapel owned by the family of Elijah, the project complies prepared by Ing. D. Campensa.

EX-FEUDI nell'Agro CURRENT.
* Quadrano. ---- It is located in the southern agro-Gildone if, in which stands the chapel of St. Mary, which is now officially known.

St. Mary of the Assumption, and in the first centuries bore the name of St. Mary Decorated, founded by Benedictine monks in the eleventh century. The former fief was reinstated in part to the City with sentence June 5, 1810 the Commission Feudal. The City Council, so far, has given the lands of Quadrano rented; but may have to decide if other the emphyteusis similar to those of S. Andrea.

* St. Andrew. - An old feud wooded, located south-west of the agro municipal, in the border with the agri of Cercemaggiore (prov. Of Benevento) and Mirabello. It in 1593, by application of 31 August, was sold by Alberico to Oliviero Carafa, whereby citizens rights Teal, graze and stay overnight.
Once stood in it a house, in whose vicinity had been built in the fourteenth century a Convent of the Augustinians, devotion to Geronimo Carafa lord holds Gildone. This convent was demolished by the earthquake of 1805, and currently we can still see the ruins that attest to its conspicuity waned.

• The Feudal Commission, with the aforementioned judgment, decided to reinstate part of St. Andrew in favor of the Municipality, recognizing on the one hand no less the right of the heirs of the feudal lord.

CHRONICLE LOCAL. * 1909. - Plant public clock, provided by the company Curci of Naples, to replace the old machine reminiscent of the last century.

* 1911 - August 4 is inaugurated the aqueduct built by the Ing. Cesare Palomba, under the direction of Ing. Filippo Vitale: aqueduct which leads up area water source Cisternola giving three liters per second. It has imported an expenditure of more than Lire 30,000, despite the fact that the author of the project - the fellow ing. Domenicangelo Campensa - had waived the debt payment.

BIOGRAPHY.
Domenicantonio Del Vasto. - Born in Gildone April 12, 1836 by Nicodemus and Ursula's Salty, died March 19, 1900. He studied in the Archdiocesan Seminary of Benevento, was ordained a priest; but in 1861, abandoned the ecclesiastical habit, he settled in Naples. In 1877 he was elected Provincial Councillor of the District of Santa Croce del Sannio (prov. Of Benevento), and was also Member of Provincial Parliament for some time. In the general election ballot lists for the XV Legislature - held October 29, 1882 - resulted elected Member of Parliament in the College of Campobasso I; but took no active part in parliamentary politics, and in subsequent Comizi for the XVI Legislature remained succombente with 4304 votes. He retired to his native Gildone in 1888, to cure the ailing health, first occupied the offices of Mediator and then Mayor, leaving good remembrance of himself for diligence, fairness, and the highest disinterest.




All rights reserved 2019  - Gildonese Association of Montreal Canada
Website design by MLSC